Saturday 8 September 2012

david2goa departing shortly!

david2goa


What's it all about?.... My name is David Edgell, I live in Loughborough, England. I am a regular traveler to India and have thought about riding there on a motorcycle for years. This trip is about many things, challenge, adventure, joy of motorcycle riding, travelling a path less trodden.... pursuing a dream.

I will be riding on a 2008 BMW 800gs. I bought this bike about 6 months ago. It's done 17000 miles. I've added a few sensible bits and pieces, but haven't felt obliged to add £1000's worth of Touratech! My bike has been looked over by Dave Vannin at Roy Pidcocks (My Local BMW dealer) He says I have nothing to worry about except Iran.   

I plan to take a month to get to Goa, riding approximately 300 miles a day. Do I have a route mapped out with every stop planned in minute detail? No. My approach has been very simple.... Using Google maps I entered my home address and my destination. The route that Google offers traverses Afghanistan. I simply dragged the route line via Pakistan! Et voila!

The preparation for this trip is a significant part of the endeavour, getting the visas is mind bogglingly complicated. The ride to India is a 7000 mile journey travelling through Europe, Turkey, Iran and Pakistan............    Iran, Pakistan and India all require visas. My aim is to ride directly to India without stopping and therefore I have sought and collected all these visas in advance of the trip. Because visas have a shelf life and because the visa application process is serial, timing is everything. I have the visas, I have paid the RAC a ludicrous amount of money for a Carnet de Passage.

I leave on Saturday 15th September 2012! gulp!















1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave, Mark Littlewood here from DMU days. Bit late but hope the trip went well, good to see you are still travelling and keeping well

    ReplyDelete