Saturday 22 September 2012

21st September Edirne Turkey to Bolu, Turkey.

Turkish inovation that I like..... The traffic lights have a counter! When on red the counter counts down to the point at which it goes green..... Why dont all traffic lights work that way?

The first hour of my journey was fine, a few drops of rain but nothing much..... that all
changed.... I stopped at a motorway service station to get out of the rain and change into my "onesy! one piece rain suit. A couple of pump attendants called me over to their cabin for a cup of tea. They were nice guys. They asked me about alcohol! and the drinking of. No problem.....

The remainder of my journey plumbed the depths of human misery. Istanbul is a Mega City. As you get closer the traffic gets denser and denser. Circumnavigating the city would be grim any day but in torrential rain, terrible. I crossed the Bosphorous without really appreciating it. The rain and spray were so intense you could see nothing. I was officially in Asia.

I missed my turn to Ankarra and got lost on the outskirts of Istanbul..... Finally I got back on course.
By this time my boots were full of water, my rain suit leaking comprehensively, my gloves soaking.
At one point I stopped to drain my boots and wring my socks out. For a long period I followed a coach from the company Kamil Koc. This offered very little amusement under the circumstances.

I finally reached Bolu to discover that the motorway junction was closed. I moved on and exited at the next junction and doubled back. I couldnt find a hotel so asked... a guy was kind enough to drive with me follwoing to the hotel district. The hotel was better than the night before!



Bottom right hand corner, my bike parked right at the door!

3 Mobile appear to have stopped incoming and outgoing calls from my mobile. Turkey is an expensive place to make and receive calls, I suspect I have reached some sort of limit.

I hung up everything to dry, put my gloves on the fridge heat exchanger... etc etc.
I didnt eat, I kind of didnt feel like it. I woke at midnight feeling sick... the next 6-7 hours were grim. I was repeatedly violently sick. Why I have no idea..... must have been that kebab!

I havent moved on today, I am reccuperating. I found a chemist and got some rehydration powder sachets.  I am getting better although weak. Many of the Turks I have asked for help have been very helpfull, most speak no English, but none the less will go that little bit further to assist. The chemist spoke no English, she called up a colleague to help.

Bolu Mosque
Bolu Mileometer 19855

No comments:

Post a Comment