Sunday 16 September 2012

15th September The beginning of the beginning : Loughborough to Brussels

The start to the first day of my adventure was chaotic. I hope this doesn’t define the remainder of the experience…..   So my Channel crossing is booked for 12.50. My check-in 12.20.
In typical Edgell timely fashion I decided to leave as late as is humanly possible. I thought 8.30 might be just fine. Ordinarily this would have worked out OK. However, discovering my tank bag didn’t quite fit necessitated a frantic luggage re-pack.  I then realised that I was about to set out on a bike with an empty fuel tank. In the word(s) of Homer (Simpson …. not the author of the Iliad) Doh!

A wise old man (yes I have an individual in mind and old is apt) once said “Fail to prepare and you must prepare to fail” This is so true. Upon setting out I realised that my bike behaved slightly differently loaded with two heavy panniers. If only I'd thought to have dry run with luggage..... fully laden….  Now why didn’t the wise old man suggest that? Maybe he did!
As I headed for the motorway I stared the enormity of my adventure squarely between the eyes. My instant reaction was to turn back. Often when I leave, as I suspect is the case for many travellers, those invisible threads of elastic,  threads that can stretch almost infinitely, those threads that connect you to friends, family and home, contracted and tried to draw me back.

Some time after 9.00 I reached the M1!  The traffic was kind to me until I drew close to the Dartford crossing. It rapidly became clear that long tail backs might make reaching Folkestone on time a challenge. Speed was of the essence, but sadly insufficient.
I arrived late for check-in but was allowed to catch a later crossing.

A warm and dry few hours later I arrived in Brussels. I stayed with my good friend Francis. I was treated to fine food, wine and hospitality in De Hoef Restaurant. Nice!
Sleep was not shy, she didn’t creep into my bed she crashed down upon it without embarrassment. Bon nuit, au revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment