Sunday 16 September 2012


16th September.... The jouney that almost wasn’t

I left Brussels at 8.30am… as events unfolded I almost didn’t. Every year Brussels have a “No motor vehicle day” Today is that day! All the major roads within the city were closed off. Cars were moving along the minor roads, I suspect in defiance of the spirit of the day. My SatNav of course had not been programmed to cope with Brussels exceptional day.  After an anxious 30 minutes  I managed to find a way out of the city, partly through following cars on the hunch that they might also be leaving the city and partly by attempting to run as close to parallel with Garmin’s route.

My destination was Randsacker. A quaint wine producing village nestled amongst endless vineyards.

In total I rode somewhat over 300 miles. Even on the silken ribbons that are the German Autobahns, this it transpires is actually a long way for a poorly conditioned middle aged man. I am yet again put in mind of the expression fail to prepare…… Note to other would be adventurers… Take the time to familiarise yourself with rides of the same duration and distance that you plan as part of your journey. The A3 Autobahn passes under Frankfurt Airport and I have to admit to fleeting thoughts of leaving the motorway and checking myself and bike onto a flight for Birmingham. Those elastic threads pulling a little tighter.

I know that I have tough days ahead. 300 miles in one day on lesser roads will be a challenge!

Faced with fatigue, caffeine is the modern world’s antidote. Propelled bySegafredo I reached Randsacker by about 4.30

 






 
 
 


 
Hotel Lowen is a decent hotel for its humble tarrif of £36 a night. I am the youngest resident by decades. Randsacker is evidently one of the darling destinations of the retired German domestic tourist.

 


 

 
 

My bike is running well and I have thus far been blessed by the weather gods (I hope that in expressing positivity about both I don’t break the spell)

Tonight I will dine alongside Germans who lived through the second world war. The war, of course is something that a polite Englishman would never mention whilst on German soil……
I took my meal at Weinhaus Spielburg. Salad, Bratwurst and kraut and a large beer E11.50
I really liked this restaurant, the food was great, the atmosphere superb.

I have a litre of Scotch for company over the next few weeks. I will take care to drink with a measured approach!

Randsacker Mileometer reading 18,399     My bike seems to yield about 60 MPG regardless of speed!

Tomorrow Austria. Arnold would have something appropriate to say, I don't.... Thats Bavarian beer for you.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment