Thursday 8 November 2012

Epilogue

My journey is complete. My journey is over. I am now back in the UK. My bike remains in India, yet to be shipped back. I am slowly adjusting to a different existence..... So, for those of you keen on numbers.....


No punctures. No mechanical failures. No serious accidents. 
12 countries, 34 days, 7736 miles, 566 litres of petrol, overall average of 62mpg, 1359kg of CO2 emisions  :-(  sorry planet earth, that discovery went hand in hand with pollution.

I have been very fortunate, very, very fortunate. I am fortunate to have completed my adventure without uninvited drama. I am fortunate to have had the time and money to undertake the trip.... At times I have been painfully aware that to many onlookers, in the countries I have passed through, I must have appeared to have been an overgrown and spoilt western brat. Really.... riding through countries like Pakistan, where for many, a days wage is less than $1, the sight of a European on a fancy motorcycle, wasting petrol, and behaving in a variety of alien ways must have seemed and possibly was, repugnant. I am fortunate that I have a family that allowed me the freedom to indulge my selfish passion for adventure. I am fortunate to have met many good people along the way.

Revelations.... Iran. A lovely country with probably the kindest most hospitable people I have ever encountered. Bravo, the people of Iran. The road to India.... its almost entirely paved, sometimes poorly, but regardless it is, a more or less unbroken strip of tarmac.

Lessons learnt...... A personal lesson...Get a "Camelback". Take more photos. Don't rush along so much. Travelling alone is liberating. Be very selective about the information you gather and possibly rely upon, from forums and blogs.... many authors project more than reality in their writings.    

Recommendations..... Give it a go, its not as hard as you might imagine. The dangers exist but can be managed. Fear the Taliban, the terrorist, the separatist, but fear the erratic driving of the common man more so.  The BMW F800GS. It's a lovely bike. I can think of no bike, better suited to this type of journey. Mitas E07 tyres. Cheap (I like cheap) incredibly long lasting, and in the dry, grippy! After 8000 miles they have barely worn.

If you are thinking about or planning a similar adventure, I am happy to chat.

I am glad that I've written it all down, fairly much as and when it happened..... One day, I hope my son reads all about my adventure. I hope he is proud possibly inspired. I hope he grows to understand why I was away for "a very, very long time". I hope that one day we share such an adventure together. 

Peace, David...... For my 2013 bike ride check david2somewhere


5 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I read your journey starting from the Turkish border, to Goa with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing it all down!
    It was really great for us to see how you experienced the trip, especially the stretch we shared!
    To bad we couldn't meet up in goa, but maybe we'll have another chance to meet!
    I also really like your epilogue, i hope i can write something as nice in the end of our trip...

    All the best from the hemp bar in arambol beach,

    Martin & Richi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post , I like this post . thanks to share this . I like to ride by motor bike . Thanks for this post .
    Motorcycle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its really great . This post are really nice and interesting .
    Motorcycle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I was planning on doing the same,
    Do u have a contact number ? Would be great to hear from you if you have a few moments to spare.
    Regards, darren 07453265079

    ReplyDelete